Saturday, December 20, 2014

Week in review - #4

I hope you haven't all given up on me!  I have taken a break since Thanksgiving.  Not a planned break, but a break nonetheless.  Odd schedule, sick babies, crazy at work...you get it.  I'm hoping you've all tried some tips and tricks and / or have come up with some of your own.  I have to say one change we've made since I last posted was that we are starting to do some more bulk purchasing at Costco to help with budget and prep work.  It is GREAT!!!!  I will be completely honest.  I've just been lazy in starting to shop this way, to the tune of I'm sure a couple hundred extra dollars a month.  I don't want to think about how much money we've wasted and I'm not going to.  Moving forward...

I've tried a few new recipes over the last couple weeks and some have been winners.  I'm sure I'll share them sooner than later.  For when you find one that works, work it into the rotation is what I say.

This week has been much more on track than the last couple have been.  Here's what we've done this week:

Sunday - Parmesan crusted chicken with mom's mac and cheese

recipe - don't make fun, it's on the side of the Best Foods mayo jar.  Only Best Food is allowed in our house.  It's so easy and probably not good for you and we love it.

http://www.bestfoods.com/article/media/650196/?page=ParmesanCrustedChicken.aspx&gclid=CjwKEAiAk8qkBRDOqYediILQ5BMSJAB40A5UBYsXEmXhuCz8q6EM4RXySJvyWNzIzyHfbQS1rr6HeRoC3pTw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Mom's mac and cheese - just like my mama used to make

Ingredients:
  • package macaroni elbow pasta
  • 1/4 c. butter
  • 1/2 c flour
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1/2 c cheddar cheese cubed
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 8 (or so) thin slices of cheddar cheese

To Make:
  • Boil pasta by directions on package, drain
  • Make sauce by melting butter in a sauce pan, add flour to make paste, slowly add milk and whisk together.  Bring to a low boil and add cheese cubes.  Allow cheese to melt and bring back to a boil.  Sauce should start to thicken.  If it doesn't you can add some more flour mixed with milk until thickness you desire.  Add some salt and pepper to taste.
  • Mix sauce with noodles and place in baking dish.
  • Add slices of cheese to the top
  • Bake for approx 20 minutes on 350 degrees (or like I did this week just baked alongside the chicken, but for less time)...you just want the cheese to be starting to become golden and bubbly.
Monday - Chicken Cordon Bleu casserole

recipe - http://www.fullforkahead.com/2012/11/16/chicken-cordon-bleu-casserole/

Tips and tricks:  this recipe actually gives you some good tips for how to prep in advance.  I've found the one that works for us is that I make it in the morning and even bake it.  Once baked, you can cover and put in the fridge until that night.  All you need to do is pop it back in the oven and it's perfect in time for dinner.  I would serve with some sort of starch - potatoes, rice, or noodles.  It's kind of rich, but so good!

Tuesday - mmmm...we got to pick from leftovers (fend for yourself night)...we had mac and cheese (which in my mind is a dinner itself) or chicken cordon blue.  I'm not going to name names, but some of us had both.

Wednesday - Tiki Masala


Tips and tricks:  These are Safeway brand and I love them.  I don't follow the jar directions.  I just stick about 6 frozen chicken breast tenderloins or 2-3 large frozen chicken breasts in the crockpot and add 2 jars for 6-8 hours.  Hubby makes rice and it's ready to servce.  I like to top with some green onion.

Thursday - We had enough for leftovers, of course.

Friday - Daddy made breakfast :)

Well that was our week!  I'm not going to make promises to keep track for this week.  Sufficed to say that we are having some delicious dinners for Christmas!!!!!  I may post a couple favorites though.

Have a blessed Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment