Monday, May 25, 2015

Let's catch up

I'm a horrible blogger!!!  Life has kind of taken over and, although, I have fed my family over the past few months, I haven't bothered to tell you all about it.  I'm learning to forgive myself for not having it all together.  Join me, won't you!?!  Or maybe that's not your issue, like it is for me.  But if it is...repeat after me:  "I'm not a superwoman, I'm not a superwoman, I'm not a superwoman!"  Just scream if to yourself in your head, but then make everyone still think you're a superwoman.  It's just easier that way.

Well, it's memorial day weekend, and here's what's for dinner at our house:

Sunday - Street tacos (Johnson version) w/ macaroni salad (see Monday for recipe) and beans
Ingredients for street tacos:  Weber grill marinade (http://www.weberseasonings.com/product-detail?id=93&sel=marinade), chicken breast tenerloins (approx. 1 lb), corn or flour tortillas, cilantro, white onion, mexican cheese (just pick your fav), sour cream

Tips and tricks:  I put my chicken in about an hour or 2 before I'm going to cook.  You can cook your meat ahead of time, but we like to do this one on Sundays (or weekend) so we can grill.  Remember to throw some plain chicken (a little olive oil) on the grill at the same time so you can have some to freeze for later recipes.  This recipe isn't even really a recipe.  Just grill your meat, chop cilantro and onion, heat up your tortillas, and serve with cheese / sour cream.

Monday -  leftovers from Monday (we make enough for 2 days)
Ingredients for mac salad:  1 pkg elbow macaroni, 6 hard boiled eggs, 4 oz. dill havarti cheese (cubed), 2 dill pickles (chopped), 1 white onion (chopped), mayo (about 3/4 c), salt / pepper to taste.

Recipe:  boil package of macaroni and drain, add to the drained noodles coarsely chop hard boiled eggs, pickle, cheese, onion.  Add mayo and salt / pepper.  Mix well and chill before serving.

Tuesday - Pioneer woman's "My favorite meatloaf" w/ mashed potatoes (see Wednesday for recipe) & corn
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/09/my-favorite-meatloaf/

Tips and tricks:  You will all thank me for this one!!!  I can't even believe it's taken me this long to post it.  We use ground turkey instead.  It's a little more moist, so I add about 1/4 c (I guess) of bread crumbs to soak up moisture in addition to the bread that's already in the recipe.  Also, we have found it works really well to make 2 loafs when you cook.  I use a large broiler pan and put foil on the bottom pan, then create 2 loafs to bake.  It cooks through better.  This is a great one to make up the loafs in the morning (with bacon and sauce) and hubby puts it in the oven for dinner.  I put the extra sauce in the fridge and he adds it for the last 15 minutes.  It probably takes a full hour to hour 1/2 to bake.  The bacon kind of looked like a crazy idea originally, but it turns soft and carmelized and delicious.  I'm not kidding, this is a HUGE favorite in our house.  It's in the top 3 for my hubby.  You can all send me gifts after you try it.

Wednesday - Leftovers
Ingredients for "Mommy's Mashed Potatoes":  About 8 Medium Red Potatoes, 4 oz Cream Cheese, 1/2 c parmesan, 1/2 c milk, 4 tbsp butter

Recipe:  Cut potatoes into quarters and boil.  Once you can poke the potatoes with a fork easily, drain and add butter and cream cheese, put lid on top and let it melt.  Once pretty melted, add parmesan and milk and mash with hand masher.  You can use beaters if you'd like, but we like it hand mashed in our house.

Thursday - Meatloaf Sandwiches w/ roasted red potatoes
For sandwiches:  Use the same BBQ sauce (make a new batch) for the spread.  We like those Torta rolls from Costco for the bread.  Recipe:  Cut bread, spread bread with butter and broil for just a couple minutes (until starts to toast), remove bread, spread think layer of BBQ sauce, add slice of mozzarella cheese, broil for another couple minutes until cheese starts to melt, add meatloaf (we microwave for a minute to make it warm) and serve.
For Potoates:  Clean and cut the rest of your 5 lb roasted potato bag (about 6-8 medium potatoes) into bite-size chunks, toss in a bowl with a tbsp of olive oil, rosemary (dried or fresh), salt and pepper to taste.  Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 for approx 20 minutes. Poke and bake until soft enough for a fork to go through.

Tips and tricks:  For sandwiches, I have everything prepped in the morning (cut the bread, slice the cheese, make the BBQ sauce) so it's ready to go.  For the potatoes, cut the potatoes and toss in the olive oil / herb mixture to a large freezer bag.  Just mix it up in that and leave in the fridge until dinner time.  I write the temp and time on the bag and hubby can pop it in the oven.

Friday - It's my Finny's birthday, so he gets to pick...and he has chosen for us to "make our own pizza"!!!!  We haven't done this before, so I'll wing this one and post the results later (if it's successful).  Wish us luck!!

So that's it for this week.  I'm going to start posting in advance what we're doing for the week coming up, rather than posting what we've done.  Have a great week everyone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment