Sunday, January 29, 2017

Is it just me?

We tried a new recipe this week.  One pot and one word.  Good.  So good.  It's kind of a spin on a baked ziti that we've done before, but I'm gonna say…try it!  You can make it the morning or ahead of time and freeze, then just bake it up when you're ready.  Try it!!  Let me know what you think…or if you think it's terrible, don't really tell me.  I think you know what I'm looking for here.  How yummy does this look?!


Ok, now to the meat of my post for today since the recipe I shared is vegetarian.  Man, I crack myself up.

Something has been kind of on my mind and heart lately.  Something that I've just been paying attention to and is becoming kind of a theme in my thoughts.  Then this past week I had a conversation with a sweet friend and fellow mom that really helped me formulate what I've been feeling.  We were talking about honesty in our relationships, especially with other moms and wives.  We agreed on something that struck a cord with me.  We NEED to share with each other.

Do you ever feel like you're the only one feeling a certain way?  No one else is feeling the same as you.  Enter Worry, guilt, frustration, hope, gratitude…and the list goes on (so many feelings).  How much healthier we would be as individuals and a community if we were able to just be truly honest with each other?  Truly.

I think we put on a good front that we're being "honest" when really we still hold on to things.  Things we think we will be judged for, things we are scared of sharing out loud, things we have convinced ourselves we are the only ones dealing with.  But the risk when we hold on to things is that we are isolated.  We allow ourselves to be open up to lies and loneliness.  We should have people in our lives that we can REALLY be honest with.

Listen, I have a pretty great life.  I am completely confident in my husband's love and provision for us, I have two sweet boys that seriously blow my mind with just who they are every single day, and I'm surrounded by a close family that constantly teaches me what unconditional love looks like.  But know this.  I have issues.  I have struggles.  I get grumpy with my kids, miss out on quality time with my husband, miscommunicate more than I'd like to admit, and leave baskets of folded laundry in the basket all week until I have no choice but to empty them to make room for the next 3 loads of laundry.  Is it just me?

I choose to share on social media those things that I really want to remember.  That's my rule.  If it pops up on my "memories" a couple years later…will I want to see it?  But that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of things in between those posts that didn't go exactly as I'd want them to or I wish I could go back in time and handle differently.  Trust me.

It's important that we have people in our lives that know those moments.  The in between moments.  Ones who won't judge you, but affirm you.  One's who know how to be encouraging without being discouraging.  I'm not talking about complaining, nor does it mean that the checker at the grocery store needs to hear how your day really was.  Spare them.  But surround yourself with just one or a few that will hear you.

Conversely, be that friend for others.  Be open to hearing their yucky stuff.  And to hold it close to your heart.  If something is told to you in confidence, keep it that way.  Be that friend.

I have those friends and I'm forever thankful for them.  But I still have to consciously share my truth.  It doesn't come naturally for most of us.  Give it a shot.  You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment