Wednesday, January 11, 2017

New year, new goals

I've decided to start a blog.  Really that means starting a journal.  And since the journal I've always had kind of going has had maybe 1-4 entries each year, then I expect this blog idea to really take off. (insert laugh track)

Not expecting anyone to feel obligated to read and not expecting to have an audience, but expect to process feelings and ideas.  Hoping maybe others can relate.

Why is it that with the new year, we feel so empowered to make new choices and set new goals?  Why in January would it be any different than August?  Because it feels like a clean slate.  And it is.  It's a new year.  I have some goals (I refuse to call them resolutions) this year.

  1. Continue my workout plan.  I started working out again in September and feel great.  Just really need to stay consistent.  I'm supposed to be working out right now…so…
  2. Keep my voice at a lower octave.  Let me explain.  When I get upset or angry, my voice goes up.  Anyone who knows me, knows this.  I'm not saying I won't let it go up an octave if I'm truly excited about something.  There is nothing I can or should do to stop that.  But I am working on keeping my voice low if angry, frustrated, or upset in any way.  Therefore, keeping me calmer.  I'm sure it'll work.
  3. Living in Truth and not comparing myself to others - or - what I think to be the image of others.  Not believing the enemies lies.  Easy, right?!  We each have our own story.  None of our stories are the same.  My goal is to keep my eyes focused on God and his story for me.  Comparison gnaws and discourages and aches and hurts.  I am working on being ok with my story and not trying to take on the burden of making sure mine looks like someone else's just because it's attractive.  It's probably not what I think it is anyways.  Social media can get me almost every time.  So, I'm just going to look at the cute pictures and witty commentary.  Not what I'm "missing" out on.  Because I'm not missing out.  Just think I am.  See, it's a goal…I'll work on it.


I can do these things.  I know I can.  At least for this week.  But…He can do these things in me and make a change in me.  It's not me that has the power.  I just need to give it to Him.  Surrender, I believe, is the word I'm looking for.  Words for this year.  Focus and surrender.  Maybe I should just put those as my 2 goals and the rest will fall into place.  I'll think about it.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I was just yesterday reflecting on how much I compare myself to others and their seemingly or outwardly perfect lives. I was looking at all these people accomplishing these wonderful resolutions, and I'm just sitting here (rocking my baby to sleep), having a hard time keeping on top of everything. I realized that I need to stop doing this, comparing my life to others. Just glad to hear I'm not the only one who does this ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've caught myself feeling the same way, so completely understand. You are doing a great job, mama!

      Delete